Argan oil is a highly prized oil that is extracted from the kernels of the Argan tree, which is native to Morocco. For centuries, the oil has been used for its cosmetic and culinary properties, and has become increasingly popular in the Western world as a natural and luxurious skincare and haircare ingredient.
Harvesting and Processing of Argan Oil
The process of harvesting argan oil is highly labour-intensive, as it involves handpicking the argan fruit, cracking open the hard shells, and extracting the kernels inside. The kernels are then roasted before they are ground into a paste, which is then pressed to extract the oil. This traditional method of extraction has been passed down through generations of Berber women in Morocco, who have been using argan oil for centuries.
Constituents of Argan Oil
Argan oil is packed with beneficial constituents, including essential fatty acids, vitamin E, polyphenols, and antioxidants. The oil is also high in squalene, which is a natural compound that is found in human sebum and helps to hydrate and protect the skin.
Benefits of Argan Oil in Skincare
Argan oil is a versatile oil that can be used for a wide range of skincare benefits. Here are just a few of the ways that argan oil can benefit your skin:
- Moisturising: Argan oil is a great moisturiser, thanks to its high content of fatty acids and squalene. It helps to hydrate and nourish the skin, leaving it soft, smooth, and supple.
- Anti-Aging: The vitamin E and antioxidants in argan oil can help to fight free radicals and prevent premature aging. Regular use of argan oil can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and improve skin elasticity.
- Acne Control: Argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce redness and inflammation associated with acne. It also has a low comedogenic rating, which means that it's unlikely to clog pores or exacerbate acne.
- Skin Healing: Argan oil has been shown to promote skin healing and repair, thanks to its high content of vitamin E and fatty acids. It can be used to soothe and heal skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
- Hair Care: Argan oil is also a great oil for hair care, as it can help to moisturise and nourish dry, damaged hair. It can be used as a hair mask or a leave-in conditioner to help restore hair health and shine.
- Boucetta, K. Q., Charrouf, Z., Aguenaou, H., & Derouiche, A. (2014). The effect of dietary and/or cosmetic argan oil on postmenopausal skin elasticity. Clinical interventions in aging, 9, 509-514.
- Mekhfi, H., El Haouari, M., Legssyer, A., Bnouham, M., Aziz, M., Atmani, F., & Remmal, A. (2017). Anti-inflammatory effect of Argan oil on acute and chronic stages of inflammation in rats. Journal of dietary supplements, 14(1), 1-13.
- Schagen, S. K., Zampeli, V. A., Makrantonaki, E., & Zouboulis, C. C. (2018). Discovering the link between nutrition and skin aging. Dermato-endocrinology, 10(1), e1442161.
- Serafini, M., & Peluso, I. (201