Orchid stem cells are a useful ingredient in functional skincare. Orchids are a diverse group of flowering plants that have been used in traditional medicine for centuries, and their stem cells are now being used in skincare to help rejuvenate and protect the skin.
Constituents of Orchid Stem Cells
Orchid stem cells contain several beneficial compounds, including phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and polysaccharides. Phenolic compounds, such as flavonoids, have antioxidant properties that help protect the skin from free radical damage, which can cause premature ageing. Flavonoids also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the skin.
Polysaccharides, which are long chains of carbohydrates, are another key component of orchid stem cells. These compounds are known to have hydrating and moisturising properties that can help improve the skin's texture and elasticity.
Processing of Orchid Stem Cells
To extract the stem cells from orchids, the plant is first grown in a controlled environment, and then the stem cells are extracted using a process called tissue culture. Tissue culture involves taking a small sample of the plant tissue and then growing it in a nutrient-rich medium. This process allows the stem cells to multiply and grow in a controlled environment, where they can be harvested and used in skincare products.
Uses of Orchid Stem Cells in Skincare
Orchid stem cells are used in skincare products to help improve the appearance and health of the skin. Some of the benefits of orchid stem cells in skincare include:
- Anti-aging properties: Orchid stem cells contain antioxidants that can help protect the skin from free radical damage, which can cause premature ageing.
- Moisturising properties: The polysaccharides in orchid stem cells have hydrating and moisturising properties that can help improve the skin's texture and elasticity.
- Soothing properties: Orchid stem cells also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe and calm irritated skin.
Benefits of Orchid Stem Cells in Skincare
Research has shown that orchid stem cells may have several benefits for the skin. For example, a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Plants Research found that a cream containing orchid stem cells helped improve skin hydration and elasticity in study participants.
Another study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science found that an extract of orchid stem cells had antioxidant properties that helped protect the skin from free radical damage.
In vitro, orchid stem cells have been found to induce several growth factors, resulting in an increase in collagen and elastin fibres.
Overall, the use of orchid stem cells in skincare products can help improve the appearance and health of the skin by providing antioxidant, moisturising, and soothing properties.
- Sharma, M., et al. (2013). In vitro propagation of Dendrobium orchid: a review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 7(2), 49-60.
- Kim, H., et al. (2015). Antioxidant and anti-aging activities of extracts from the stem cells of Phalaenopsis aphrodite. Journal of Cosmetic Science, 66(2), 83-94.
- Piao, L., et al. (2015). The effect of a cream containing stem cells from the rare Swiss apple 'Uttwiler Spätlauber' on skin aging. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 9(22), 731-737.
- Wu, C., Wang, H., Wu, Y., Chou, C., Chen, C., & Wei, Y. (2015). The anti-aging effect of Phalaenopsis aphrodite extract on human skin fibroblasts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 159, 7-15. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2014.10.047.